Edwardian mustard pot with blue glass liner and a flame finial hinged lid by Barker Bros., Chester, UK, 1906
Maker’s Mark: HEB over FEB into a shield. Barker Bros (Herbert Edward Barker & Frank Ernest Barker)
Town of Origin Mark: a sword erect between three wheat-sheaves (1784-1962). Chester
Silver Standard Mark: Lion passant (facing left) mark (London and other English Assay Offices). The 925/1000 (sterling) silver fineness is certified in London and other British Assay Offices by the use of the “lion passant” mark.
Date Mark: script “F” in a chamfered corners square = 1906.
Founded in Birmingham by Mary Barker in 1801. The business was continued by her son William in partnership with Creed as Barker & Creed and after the dissolution of the partnership between Thomas and Matthias Barker the firm traded from 1885 under the style Barker Brothers. The firm was converted in 1907 into a limited liability company under the style Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd. In 1921 the firm was amalgamated with Levi & Salaman and in the 1930s acquired Ellis & Co (Birmingham) Ltd. Later the name of the firm was changed to Barker Ellis Silver Co Ltd.
Oval gadrooned body. Three inches wide, a small repair to the underside of the blue glass liner that’s not visible when in use. The spoon is marked Sterling but has no maker’s mark.